Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Winchester

Having filled the freezer, got up to date (sort of) with the laundry and packed my bag for hospital I decided to have a bit of "me time" and headed to Winchester for a bit of a mooch.

Didn't feel like doing much walking, but went to the Cathedral first to soak up a bit of the atmosphere.  




I love the window on the west front. Apparently it was deliberately destroyed by Cromwell's forces in the civil war and then the glass was later re-used in a random pattern. Really stunning!


Also love the large areas of 13th century mosaic tiles. Some inspiration for quilts there maybe?




Then there's some 12th century wall and ceiling paintings



And of course, Jane Austen's tomb


Leaving through this fantastic door 


I then went for a little stroll round the beautiful close at the back. It is always so lovely and quiet here. You wouldn't think it was the middle of a city!
These buildings are part of the Pilgrim's school, I believe



Then back to the shops, and my favourite;  Cath Kidston.  I don't usually buy much here but always love to have a look.  How cute are these prettily painted shelves?



This bed looked very inviting


And this patchwork chair is lovely, but wouldn't last long if you've got a dog like ours that likes to jump all over the furniture :(


Finally, a beautiful crazy patchwork quilt.  Sorry it was a bit hard to photograph.


Hopefully next time I go I'll be able to walk around a bit more and show you some other lovely bits of the city.




3 comments:

  1. I do hope everything is ok with you.

    Your photographs of the Cathedral are very atmospheric, and as for the shop...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what beautiful photos, love old building & the cathedral is impressive!!!!!
    Hope your ankle gets better soon, can't be easy, am praying for you
    Lol Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog and have enjoyed reading back through your previous posts. What wonderful crochet blankets you've created. I've recently learnt to crochet and I'm having a go at my first blanket. Lottie is so cute. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who sprawls on the sofa like Lottie does. Hope everything's gone well with your ankle and you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete