Monday, 12 September 2011

The last of the garden veggies

It is feeling very Autumnal now, with the veg garden looking very soggy and wind blown! I gave up picking the courgettes a while ago, but for various reasons haven't had the time to pull up the plants and tidy up yet, so there are some whoppers still on the plants.

The onions were pulled and left to dry for a couple of weeks and yesterday I trimmed them all and found a basket in the shed to store them in.  I was going to string them up but didn't get round to it this year.
I grew a few squashes that look very cheerful, and are nice and easy to bake in the oven.  Next year I'm going to try growing them up sturdy wigwams (like Monty Don on Gardener's World!) as they do take up a lot of room.



The Dahlias are still going strong, though they've taken a battering with all the wind. One of the plants broke off completely which was a shame.  I really should stake them, but never get round to it. Here's today's pickings.  Had to photograph them outside as it's so dark indoors. 



Took the chance yesterday to clean the greenhouse and move all my scented pelargoniums.  Hopefully we won't have any frosts yet, but I think they are happier in there anyway and I love opening the door and breathing in the wonderful scent.  It has to be one of my favourite places, especially in the evening, and I like to potter about in there after dinner.



One of Hubby's "things" is going mushrooming in the autumn.  He's found loads this year, especially porcini/ ceps which are the best apparently! So we've had the dryer going for the last couple of weekends as they are sliced and dried for using in casseroles/ pasta/ sauces etc for the rest of the year.  I have to say, I'm not a fan of the mouldy smell blowing round the house for days!! but once dried they are very useful (and expensive if bought in the shops).  I ought to use the dryer for other fruit and veg.  I might try some apple slices, and I think tomatoes would be good. 





I went to London to check out sofas at the weekend and decided on the Snowdrop one from Sofa.com in a neutral herringbone fabric.  It'll be a few weeks 'till it comes, but I can't wait and am busy looking for cushions and throws.  So exciting!


1 comment:

  1. Squash look so colourful, the true colours of autumn. My onions have done really well this year, I've got some huge ones. I'm going to have a go at growing from seed next year. Your dahlias are gorgeous, they must really brighten up the house. I'd love to go mushroom picking but I'd probably end up killing everyone, I'd never be confident that what I'd picked would be edible.

    ReplyDelete