Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Prettyfying the Mantelpiece

I've been busy this week with a new bit of  home improvement.  I've always wanted a mirror above the fireplace in our sitting room, but never got round to getting one. I saw one in a local furniture place that was just the right size, but didn't think the bright gold went with the room.  A couple of coats of Farrow and Ball "White Tie" from a tester pot I had and a bit of finishing wax and it looks lovely.  It's amazing how much prettier the candles look reflected in the mirror.  I'm going to find some more and I can't wait to decorate it at Christmas with fairy lights and stuff!


Before painting. A bit too "blingy" for me!


 The shirt fabric quilt is nearly finished.  I sewed the top together last week then it sat on the floor upstairs for a few days while I gradually pinned it together with the back and batting.  Not one of my favourite jobs, especially as Lottie decided it would be good to keep walking over it! Aargghh!! It would be a lot easier with a big table like the one in my dream workroom haha!  Here's a couple of pics, I'll show you more when I've done the binding.  Can't decide what to use for that yet.



The sun seems to have gone awol recently, but the trees did look glorious last week.



Just wanted to say hello to my new followers. I do enjoy reading all your blogs, even if I don't always  leave comments.  It's so interesting seeing what people are up to around the world.

Also been trying to join Pinterest but it seems you need to be on facebook which I've managed to avoid for various reasons.  Anybody any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful leaves, and your quilt is really great. I just joined Pinterest and I am on Facebook, but let me say I don't go on Facebook for anything, so you could join but not really participate. I think it is a huge waste of time but it gets you on Pinterest which could also suck up your time because there are so many beautiful things to see. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re Pinterest, easiest and least intrusive way to do it is to open a Twitter account. You don't have to actually do anything with the account (I am so not into to twitter or facebook) but it does open the door to Pinterest, which is bloomin marvelous.
    Te shirty quilt looks fantastic, love the light/dark play, it gives a lot of movement.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mirror looks wonderful, and I agree that it looks so much better painted. The quilt is looking good too. I've never joined Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest, I know I'll end up addicted and I waste far too much time on the computer as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is looking so nice & i absolutely love your new mirror, def agree white was a better choice for it, great sitting room too by the way :D
    Have a sweet day
    Karen Xx

    ReplyDelete