Thursday, 9 February 2012

Little Quilts

Having tidied away all my wool for a while, the shelves on the other side of my room have had a big sort out.  This rather ugly unit was in our living room at our last house, but it does a good job of storing all my bits and pieces now.  Just wish I'd taken the time to paint it white.



The fabric had a tidy, with lots of the bigger bits moving to another shelf unit and I found some new boxes to house all the little scraps and strips etc.

This little quilt top was pieced together a few years ago and I finished it off  a couple of days ago.  It's from the book "Little Quilts all Through the House" and I've seen loads of variations on the internet. All of them a lot neater than mine, I'm sure!



I've challenged myself to use up a lot of the strips I cut ages ago, so out came some of my books for inspiration.  Little quilts really appeal to me as they're quick and easy to make and look lovely displayed on the wall. 


Kathleen Tracy has written four wonderful books on the subject and has a lovely Blog.  Also check out Hen House and the beautiful quilts she has made if you need any more inspiration!

I've made a start with some log cabin blocks.  Hopefully it should look something like this when it's done




Now I need to go and put some more logs on the fire!

14 comments:

  1. Your little quilt is lovely!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love little quilts and this is a great book! I've made many quilts from it over the years. And yours are so pretty. You have wonderful fabric organization. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am envious of your lovely stash. Keep warm

    ReplyDelete
  4. What order; it is a delight to behold. The quilts are lovely too, but your stash cupboard and its serene layout are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Your little piles of colourful fabrics are just gorgeous to look at! You make me want to run out and buy several yards just to display them on a shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, love your stack of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie,

    When I look at your photo's I have fabric envy ;-) You have such an enormous collection!

    Love the quilt you just finished and the fabrics you chose for the new one.

    Happy evening,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your collection of fabrics. This takes me back about 30 years ago when I used to make mine and my daughter's clothes. Everywhere I went I would buy fabrics for skirts, tops, dresses etc and although I did use some of it, there was always a huge stockpile stashed away somewhere. I thought I'd got over all that. Now though since I've been blogging and seen sooo many lovely sewing ideas, I find myself searching for and buying all manner of fabrics - fat quarters, cake layers and today I learnt about jelly rolls! Here we go again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you have ana amazing amount of fabric and its soooo neat and tidy ;-) Your new quilt blocks are fab. Enjoy it, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the log cabin quilt pattern, it was the first quilt I ever made and I used it for. Oh your fabric stash is great!!! I would think I have really as much as you but not such a great space to store it, it looks so nice! Have much fun this weekend working at wonderful projects to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an enviable amount of fabric!! And all neatly sitting there ready to be picked for your next project. I think part of the fun of quilting is in the stash-building; I certainly have more fabric than I'll ever need ... but really, is there such a thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you cut your fabric with scissors or a rotary cutter? Love your organised shelves and the wood brown colour of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this. A long time quilts from 'little quilts' were my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the most beautiful collection of fabrics and lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete