Thursday, 15 March 2012

Busy week in the garden

I've just come in from the garden for a well earned rest after spending most of the week getting the veg plot sorted out.  Hubby's had the week off and we've been busy with lots of things.  I finally got the last 3 beds dug over and weeded while he got on with making my obelisks for the sweet peas.  He used the instructions Here though he used slightly slimmer wood and made the tops himself on his lathe.



I'm painting them with Cuprinol garden shades "Winter Well" which I got mixed specially in Homebase.  It's a really pretty summery colour, like a paler version of Beaumont blue. 2 done, 2 to go!  I'm really chuffed at how they've turned out and at only about £10 each for the wood and screws, a lot cheaper than some I've seen for sale!

Most days this week it's been really foggy and chilly all morning but beautiful once the sun came out.



I've also planted the onions, shallots and garlic and sown seeds for tomatoes, peppers and aubergine for the greenhouse.  Hubby tidied the front hedge, giving me lots of pea sticks and poles for my rustic bean supports.



So, all in all a very tiring but satisfying week  I'll finish painting the obelisks tomorrow and plant the strawberry plants I bought today, then I really ought to catch up with the laundry and tidy the house :( 
Hope you're all enjoying the spring sunshine
xxx

15 comments:

  1. Your garden is going to be amazing, so looking forward to watching it grow.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those obelisks are gorgeous how clever of him to make them such a lovely colour to. Your garden is amazing and huge i bet it takes you hours to sort it all out. What a lovely load of goodies you will recieve though from all your hard work, wonderful. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your obelisks are wonderful and I love the colour, I wonder how I can get my husband to make me one! I love your photo in the fog.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. My you have been busy! I love the paint colour of the obelisks! It must be wonderful to grow your own veg and stuff. Our garden is too small - one day perhaps we'll have a bigger one!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice!
    What a pleasure to work in the garden or yard! =)
    Beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the garden looks amazing now! it will be gorgeous once the vegetation have started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your veg garden looks amazing. I long for a garden that big rather than my rather modest veg garden that I have. I'm loving how organised your garden is looking

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a huge garden you have. All that space! It all looks well taken care off. LOVE your new obelisks! Great colour.

    Happy weekend,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, you look like you both have very busy in the garden. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your veg patch is amazing, my patch is so tiny! I do love your new obelisks, the colour will look great with sweet peas, roll on the warmer weather ;-) Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. sweet peas are one of my favourite flowers..i am looking forward to your photos of them on those great obelisks later in the year..happy gardening..jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the obelisks. Your garden is so lovely. I haven't sown anything yet. Too busy preparing a new bed. Hoping to find some time tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  13. A truly lovely garden - look forward to seeing it in full bloom. Love the colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is lovely. I just found you through Pinterest, and am your latest follower. In fact I like your blog so much I even wrote about it over on my blog. I look forward to being inspired by all your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't realise you had such a large garden - it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete