Thursday, 1 March 2012

Spring has Sprung!

After a very foggy start this morning, it has turned into the most beautiful spring day. Let's hope it's here to stay!   The catkins are suddenly flowering away and there are bees humming and frogs croaking everywhere.


The hellebores and snowdrops and the odd crocus are very welcome when there's nothing else around.







I spent some time at the weekend sorting out the greenhouse, taking all the benches out and giving it a spring clean.  All my overwintering pelargoniums were tidied and cuttings taken. I could spend all day pottering in there given the chance! 


Some of my favourites spent the winter in my utility room where they've flowered away for months. The one with the pink flowers is "Sweet Mimosa" who's leaves are balsam scented, but I grow for the lovely flowers.  It's what my Nan would have called a "good do-er"!  


I got my potatoes planted today.  Lady Christl first earlies.  I don't bother with main crop ones but there's nothing to beat the first new potatoes of the year.  



On another note, we discovered a wasp's nest in our eaves space that we'd forgotten about.  We seemed to get them every summer, using the air vents in the soffits to get in.  The pest man came and treated this one last year, but it was only when hubby was putting some mouse bait out (oh the joys of living in the country!) that we remembered  it was there. It's quite impressive and I'd love to remove it to have a proper look, but there's no way I'm going in that little crawl space with all the spiders and dust :(
Hopefully we won't get any more as our new soffits don't have the big air vents


Bye for now
xx

13 comments:

  1. That nest is huge! Lovely pictures of your flowers. Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasps nests are pretty impressive. Love the photo of the wasp hovering over the hellebores!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow i have never seen a wasp nest the animal kingdon is amazing when you think about it. Lovely flowers lets hope Spring is really here its been lovely sunshine for the past few days ;-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful images here, and I the pic of the green house holding all that summer promise :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful pictures of spring, I have been driving past branches of catkins all week and have wanted to get my camera out to take a photo.
    I love scented pelargoniums too that one you have is such a pretty delicate pink. I shall have to look out for it.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures ,you have inspired me to get out in my garden .i love pottering about especially on a nice sunny day xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm drooling over your greenhouse. So many pots to keep watered! It looks so beautiful where you live x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WE had wasps in my husbands shed..Fred sprayed them with DEGEARSER
    ( aerosol pressure pack ))
    Dead as doornails in one split second.. So Fred keeps the can of the degeaser handy, just in case they return..
    Best Wishes, Hahnsmum.. OZ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEGREASER.. Aerosil can ) .. Sorry l cant spell.. Hahnsmum.. OZ..

      Delete
  9. l cant even spell... DEGREASER.. Sorry..
    Hahnsmum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving your Spring pics cheered me up on a miserable rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressed with your lovely collection in the greenhouse - is it heated overwinter - my geraniums look as though they have all died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes we do have a little fan heater that keeps it just above freezing. It would probably be cheaper to buy new ones each year but I do love taking cuttings in the spring!

      Delete