Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Veg Planting

Hello, not much new to report here this week.  The weather is really trying my patience and the odd sunny day seems all the more precious when it does arrive.  Yesterday was lovely so I decided it was time to get planting out some veggies.  I started with the climbing beans, which predictably sulked and went all droopy at the tips, even though it was quite warm out.  Thankfully all but a couple have perked up today and I'll pinch out the others and hope they shoot again.  There's a few runner beans still to go out, but they can wait a while.


Also planted the dwarf French beans (Sonesta) and courgettes (Safari and Sunstripe) covered with some tunnels while they get used to the fresh air!




Everything is looking lovely and green again, not surprising with all this rain




I've been thinking about digging up more of the "grass" to extend the veg plot towards the house, and give me more space to grow herbs, roses, lavender etc.  I think it could look lovely, but would be quite a bit of work to get it dug over and fenced to keep the rabbits out.  I marked out a plan with canes and stuck a couple of pots in the middle where there would be a bird bath or something. Still trying to decide if Lottie would be left with enough running around space!


Indoors the cloakroom is progressing slowly.  It's been painted and the basin is plumbed in and usable. Just the loo to do now and then I need to think about shelves and stuff.





Bye for now
xxx

17 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been very busy. Beautiful pictures of your lovely garden.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your garden is huge and so lovely. Its all so neat and tidy. I think its lovely if you are able to grow your own vegetables and canning them and pickling them is my favourite ;-) Enjoy the rest of your week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What splendid order in your garden. It is lovely. An inspira.tion. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I have garden envy! The new extension will look great but yes lots of hard work ahead! I have just started to grow veg and can't believe how addictive it is, I thought collecting fabric and buttons were bad enough but now I have added seed packets and compost bins in the mix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed how much work you have done in the garden despite the weather. Your plants look so healthy too and you have such a wonderful display of tulips. Hope the sun soon returns too!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have garden envy! It really is a beautiful patch and your banner pic with the tulips is truly gorgeous and inspiring. Now if only this rain would abate, I could get out and tend to my garden too. Forecast for this afternoon is good... let's hope :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the tulip picture. May I ask if you lift them after flowering or leave them for the following year? Thanks XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, that picture was taken a few years ago and the bulbs were re-planted in the veg patch where they are left permenantly and seem to thrive ok. I did have some in pots last year that were lovely, but leaving them in the pots for a second year didn't seem to work and they didn't flower much this time. I don't think the weather helped much this year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bulbs, and your veg patch is looking lovely. I planted some beans yesterday just before it rained (again) and they looked quite happy today! As you say, everything looks extra green this spring from all the rain.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just had my first crop of rhubarb this year because off all the rain!!!! Just need to make the pies now. The bathroom is looking goodl.

    Luv Jane XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful garden you've got. My runner beans are going bananas, they need planting out so badly, but I'm trying to hold out for a couple more weeks. Blooming rubbish weather...
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  12. your vegetable garden is a joy to look at..i really must get some autumn planting done or i will miss out on all the benefit of the warmer days we're having here in melbourne..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is looking lovely :) I'm enjoying seeing your progress while I wait for our weather to warm up a big so I can begin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, This is my first visit to your blog. What a beautiful vegetable garden! It inspires me to become more serious about vegetable gardening. I'll be back to visit again.
    All the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I am recovering slowly! Your vege garden looks wonderful!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post seems to have slipped under the radar - you have obviously been working very hard on the garden and I love your new design - you won't have much lawn left at all if that is the design you decide on, you will have to train Lottie to play in straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there will still be enough closer to the house and up and down the garden, and whippets were originally bred to race in the back alleys haha! xx

      Delete