Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Waiting for summer.

What strange weather we've been having lately!  Some days it's warm enough to think about suncream when I'm gardening, then we have days like yesterday when the heavens kept chucking it down with hailstones!  I woke this morning to see frost on the grass and thought my beans had had it, but they still seem to be ok thankfully.  Everything is covered with fleece and netting, so fingers crossed.
Here's a few flowers from the garden that cheered me up today.








In the veg plot the sweet peas have been planted with some twiggy sticks to give them a leg up to start with.


The potatoes are growing well and have been earthed up a few times.


Closer to the house I've been tidying up the pots and bought a couple of window planters that hubby put up for me :)  I've been buying plants at the garden centre to fill them with, but they're sat indoors for now.  The metal tub is full of mint, which I love to have by the back door in the summer for potatoes and salads.  The butler sink was removed from our last house when it was the fashion to rip them out and put in little round ones!  What were we thinking!



Lottie's getting fed up with the weather, whippets aren't designed for rain :(  She hasn't had any luck catching rabbits either, so spending a lot of time under her blanket on the sofa.


Finally,  I've added some more fabric rolls to my Etsy shop now that I've sold a few :)  These ones are in cosy, warm colours, just right for a quilt for Autumn if you're looking for a project, or a gift for someone!


Here's hoping that summer is on the way soon.

xxx

16 comments:

  1. Ooh Debbie, you have such a beautiful garden - your Iris are stunning!! Poor Lottie - pansy our kitty is a bit miffed about the weather too, shes usually gallivanting out in the sun this time of year :)
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking so beautiful. Hope Lottie recovers from the rain.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely photos! So sorry about all the rain and poor Lottie. My daughter has 2 rescued greyhounds and their favorite place is on a bed or a couch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful garden, I have an old tin bath outside which I usually plant with mixed salad leaves for the summer - you've reminded me that I need to get on with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is looking lovely despite the weather - love that woodland bit of your garden it looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do wish that summer would hurry up and get here, it isn't only Lottie who is fed up of the rain. The iris's in the first picture is lovely, such a gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous flower shots. My balcony is starting to look colourful now too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos - especially of Lottie!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful pictures of your garden and everything looks so well organised. I love your Iris, hope Lottie is enjoying some sunshine.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful pictures. Your garden is amazing! Lottie is gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know which garden I'll be peeking into all summer, everything looks so nice.
    Love that jellyroll too, if its still available when I get back from hols I will be very tempted
    Lol Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I can see everything is just waiting for the right moment to thrive....it's going to be a beautiful sight in summer, even though it already is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely your garden is looking already. I've been working in mine today, and now the sun is out I'm hoping it stays for a while! Poor Lottie...I hope she has a sunny week too! Love the flowers you have grown, and the veg plot is going to be fantastic.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Debbie,
    I just came back to admire your apricot coloured iris. I can understand why it's your favourite! Iris are such fascinating blooms, aren't they? The choice of colours is incredible too. Thank you for visiting Reflections and Nature!
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been a busy bee in your garden! How many pretty flowers that you grow, your garden is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a lovely set of photos and what a lovely plot to work on must take a lot of hard work,regards,David

    ReplyDelete