Wednesday, 23 May 2012

The Walled Garden

I've been meaning to share some pictures of a favourite local place of mine, but the last few times I've visited it's been "closed for maintenance".  Anyway, on the way to the wool shop today (yes another blanket is at the planning stage!) I popped in to the Walled Garden in Basingstoke and thought you might like to have a peek.

The garden used to belong to Down Grange House that was long ago turned into a restaurant and the land surrounding it is now a sports ground, but this little oasis was saved and is now owned and maintained by the local council.





As you enter through the gates there are areas of grass and the old croquet lawn that is now sometimes used for marquees for events like flower shows and weddings.
There's a wildlife pond that's great for pond dipping.



To one side there are long herbaceous borders and a pretty little sunken area currently filled with aquilegias.





Views through the beautiful gate to Down Grange House



Lovely old walls that used to be covered with greenhouses.



But the best bit, for me, is the allotment area.  I'm not sure what happens to the produce, perhaps it's used in the council's restaurant! but some of it appears in the flower and veg show.  I hope it's on again this year as I can't find any reference to one last year.   It looks like they've been busy with new wooden edging and netting supports.  I love the idea of covering the whole area with netting.  No more pigeon bother!





Sorry, I didn't realise I'd taken so many photos!  
Now back to my own garden.  Everything is planted out now, just the tomatoes to do in the greenhouse, then I can relax a bit and get back to some crafting :)

xxx

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place, and how lucky it's been preserved. Enjoy the sunshine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place, and I love your photographs. It looks like a perfect oasis of calm, or do you think everyone was at Chelsea? J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to walk in this place. I love the intimity of walled gardens. How attractive that wrought-iron gate is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I have to tell you this garden looks like the setting for one of the episodes of "Rosemary & Thyme"....hmmm I wonder? Thanks for sharing the lovely pics :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh it looks like a lovely place, and not too far from me :) may have to have a little visit. I love walled gardens - I always think of Mary Lennox from the secret garden. Hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice little "tour" you have given us. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm I could sit in a garden like that for hours just whiling away the time with a good book taking in the peace and quiet. Too far for me though? Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet garden and all run by the council! The allotment looks great as do the flower borders! I don't envy you doing the tomatoes - I'm allergic to tomato leaves although I can and do eat tomatoes!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love visiting our beautiful walled gardens. Its nice to see another blogger who appreciates wonderful Basingstoke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. That garden is beautiful. It is like a garden straight out of a Jane Austen book/movie. :) So jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so want to go there!!
    What a happy place to go to

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely place to visit, it's great having such places close by. The allotment area would be my favourite bit too, I'm always eager to see what other people are growing. I've still got lots of things to plant out, I'm hoping to get some of them in the ground over the next few days. It'll be interesting to see how everything does this year after such a slow start. Looking forward to hearing about your next wooly project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks a lovely place to have a wander round

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you took some many photos for us to enjoy too! The allotment area looked amazing! We have something similar to this in Poole but without the allotment area. I love visiting there as it is usually quiet and have it almost to myself!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful space! Walled gardens have a very special something don't you think. Are whippets allowed in? We have a favourite walled garden here that does admit dogs, though visiting with all five of the whippet boys would be a little unfair on everyone else there so we usually only take one or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dogs are allowed in, though I wouldn't take Lottie as she hates going in the car!

      Delete
  16. You live close a really nice place! Can't wait to see your new blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't that such a beautiful place! I loved getting to visit with you at the Walled gardens. So nice of you to share this! I would love to visit if ever in the area. I love the paths, and that grande drive way pavers!! Wow!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete