Thursday, 21 June 2012

Garden Snippets


It's poppy time again and these beauties are doing their stuff all over the veg plot!  I did sprinkle some new seeds around in the spring, but they don't seem to have come up.  These pink and red pom-pom ones come up every year and I'm sure they're even bigger than normal.  Maybe due to the rain.




The honeysuckle over the arches is wafting it's perfume round the garden when the sun comes out!




My veggies seem later than many other gardeners and everything is on the small side but I've started picking the mangetout at last.  


The French beans have really struggled to grow at all.  There are some flowers appearing on the dwarf ones but the plants are small and sickly looking. The climbing ones haven't really got going, unlike the runners that are doing well.  I'm sure it's the first time in my 20 odd years of growing veg that it's been like this.
The courgettes are ok, though one plant was broken off in the storm a few days ago!


Only about a quarter of the sweetcorn germinated, even after a second sowing, so I just planted out what I had and filled the rest of the bed with some cosmos and sunflowers.  The squashes in the background are doing well, with some golf ball sized ones already.


Finally, some lovely clematis and roses, "The Pilgrim" I think. I'm not a fan of bright yellow flowers, but this soft creamy yellow is so pretty and seems to go with everything else.



Thank you for all your lovely comments on my last post and hello to my new followers.
Hope you have a good weekend
xxx

25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden! I have never seen these type of poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos of your garden particularly the honeysuckle and the poppies, I usually sow poppy seeds each year and the only ones that come out are the single purple ones!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and beautiful photographs! They have really brightened up my day.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vegetables are further along than ours! We too have pink fluffy poppies growing all over the plot - most are weeded ourt with the occasional one in a sensible place allowed to stay! We also have some lovely honeysuckle in the garden at the moment and on the few occasions that it is nice enough to wander round the garden we can enjoy the scent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos of the poppies and the honeysuckle! Your garden looks wonderful and I'm sure you'll have an abundant crop of all that's been sown!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful flowers! what's your secret with the squashes? The ones I planted are tiny in comparison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful pictures, I love the raindrops on the honeysuckle!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are the same as the poppies in my veg garden - I have been quite ruthless this year and pulled them out except along the edges of the beds. They do have a tendancy to take over don't they - though they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful garden you have Debbie! Never seen poppies like this before. They look really special. Unfortunately they don't like the soil in my garden.

    Wish you a happy evening!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos Debbie especially the poppies and the clematis

    ReplyDelete
  11. ICh bin verzaubert von diesen wunderschönen Mohnblüten (poppies)! Liebe Grüße
    Marita aus Deutschland!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your veg plot looks to be growing well, can't believe how big your courgette and squash plants are, I'm really struggling with those this year. I love the pics of the poppies, such a beautiful plant. Bet its heavenly walking under that arch with all that honeysuckle scent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your veggies are further along than mine, and are doing much better too. The slugs are having a field day on my allotment, they're loving all the rain we're getting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful - your garden really is looking lush and healthy. The weather here has been so bad that it's been hard to spend any time at all at my allotment, I'm feeling very guilty, but I suspect things just aren't growing anyway. I'm really hoping for some sun soon, but in the meantime I'm enjoying it vicariously through you!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your peonies are so beautiful! Your garden looks amazing! Thanks for sharing such prettiness to brighten my day! Have a lovely weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is so lovely ,i love the archway with the honeysuckle growing over,its all lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love seeing glimpses of your garden! Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden is beautiful..thank you so much for visiting my blog and signing up for my giveaway,,,look forward to reading your blog. Have a fabulous weekend..
    Devon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! What a perfect garden! We don't have poppies like that. I sprinkled some red poppy seeds around and I'm hoping they come up next year. Here they don't transplant well. We have fires in Colorado, due to the heat. Sad. I wish for a bit of your rain.
    What a pretty blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your garden looks fabulous, as always - I think I need you to sort mine out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. perfect pink poppies pictures!
    what a lovely post
    and
    what a love;y garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hej Debby, your garden is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wunderschöner Mohn.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the pink pom pom poppy. I'm organising a pom pom bomb in our local park this Saturday. I'm going a bit pom pom mad at the moment x

    ReplyDelete