Monday, 2 July 2012

A London Visit

You might remember last August our eldest daughter moved to London for her Bar course. Well she passed with flying colours and will soon be "called to the Bar" which is great news.  As it's her birthday too, hubby and I went for a visit yesterday to take her out for lunch and bring back some of her books and stuff.  

This is the view of Greenland dock and the Shard from her flat.


Lots of boats in the docks





And a floating pub, the Wibbley Wobbley!


There's a sailing school at one end of the dock.  It was good weather for it!


We strolled along to Greenland Pier and hopped on the Thames Clipper to cross over to Canary Wharf






We saw "The Spirit of Chartwell" go past looking rather less "blingy" than she did for the Jubilee Pageant


Not sure about the meaning of this golden egg sculpture (a bit about it here ) but it does seem to fit in well with all the financial buildings behind!




Being a Sunday it was strangely quiet, but beneath all the offices there is a large busy area of shops and restaurants where we went in search of some lunch and had a wander.

It was good to visit London again.  I always love seeing the river especially!  but after spending an hour and a half crawling through the traffic to escape it was great to get home and smell the country air again!

xxx

19 comments:

  1. The dock is pretty with all the boats but we surely do have some ugly buildings. Hideous in fact. I live in London and fortunately not all of it is so horrible and grey. There seems to be hardly any greenery, just the very occasional tree. Fortunately much of London is lucious and rather green, with gorgeous planted spaces. We have beautiful old buildings too. Just not in Canary Wharf. Yuk. Glad I don't work there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your daughter on passing her Bar exams! You must be very, very proud of her achievement.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your daughter, fabulous images!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I know what you mean, it all seems chaotic and cramped because there has never been an overall plan. The parks are lovely and they have planted lots of trees around the docks, but yes, I'm glad I don't need to visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting London but love coming back to Kent where it seems very quiet! Great photos. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done to your daughter! You must be so proud.
    I find Canary Wharf strangely beautiful! My husband has worked over there since there was hardly anything there so I suppose in a way I've watched it grow. I like the thought that this part of the East End that was all useless and becoming derelict after all the docks closed has found a purpose. It amazes me that even ten years ago most of it wasn't even there.
    Glad you had a good day out!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I think the area will improve as matures over the years. I've been there at night and it is amazing all lit up!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your daughter on passing her exams, and happy birthday to her too. Will she be staying in London now that she's finished studying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she would prefer to stay in London, though she hasn't found a job yet so could end up anywhere!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to your daughter you must be very proud of her. Your views of London are lovely. Was it difficult to find somewhere in London for her to live?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not difficult really, there's plenty of places, but they do go very quickly so she viewed and moved in within a week!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, you must be feeling so proud, I know how delighted I was last year when my son Passed Out from Sandhurst, and my younger son now has a super training post with publishers in the city.
    But the Bar, that's pretty tough, so well done her:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been to London for donkeys years - I suspect it has changed out of all recognition now - what a shame the sun wasn't shining on your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to your daughter! Such an accomplishment to be proud of! Beautiful visit to London! Looks so lovely there! Happy Monday to you, and wishing some sunshine your way! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations and happy birthday to your daughter! London does look lovely, such a mix of old and brand spanking new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie a really nice set of pictures to look at we don`t get up to London now so it was lovely to see that part of the capital. Good luck to your daughter I know you must be proud of her

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wibbley wobbley - such a wonderful description. I enjoyed your trip to London.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the mini tour of London. Always nice to get home, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I miss London so much! So it is lovely to see your pictures - thank you! It looks as if you've had a lovely time visiting.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete