Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Tomatoes and Sweetcorn

I've been saving up my tomatoes trying to get enough to dry them and decided do a batch yesterday.  In their raw state they were quite tasty, though maybe they could have been a bit sweeter,  given more sun on my greenhouse.  I didn't expect the wonderful flavour that would result. They are soooo sweet and moreish and I'm definitely going to make more.  In fact I'll be buying up the larger supermarket ones when the prices drop.  It's so much cheaper than the little pots of sun dried tomatoes!


Cut in half, seeds and green bit removed.  Sprinkled with salt and some dried oregano.


After a couple of hours in the dehydrator they had begun to shrink and were very tasty.

  
I left these for about 6 hours, but larger ones would take longer.  I squished them into a couple of clean jars and covered them with olive oil.  They should be fine in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and will liven up some salads or perk up some bread and cheese.  If you've got lots and want to keep them longer they apparently freeze well.  Just pack them into plastic bags



Also yesterday we had the first of our sweetcorn and it was delicious.  When I checked my seed packets I realised the Wagtail ones hadn't been opened.  Oops! sorry if anyone ordered some after I recommended them before :(   These are Swift F1 and I've also got some Lark F1.  Both have done very well, with just a few of the top kernels undeveloped.  Usually I find they are very patchy.


I love the way the lines twist round the cob.  Nature can be so beautiful! 
 And very tasty :)


Take care
xxx

18 comments:

  1. Your pictures look so yummy and gorgeous I want to reach into my computer and grab some corn and tomatoes.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cherry tomatoes look just wonderful. What a great idea if you have all the equipment. I bet those dried tomatoes macerated in olive oil with a touch of oregano liven up any dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures look delicous and yummy i love corn
    Have a fab week
    Ella xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always windered about dehydrators and whether they are worth the expense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had ours for years and hubby uses it every autumn when he goes mushroom foraging. I've still got several jars of dried ceps that make great stock so it's definitely paid for itself. I wouldn't bother with the fancy ones with timers etc, just on/off is enough!

      Delete
  5. The produce from your garden looks so good. I too have wondered about dehydrators, your dried tomatoes look so good and it is always wonderful to bring out a bit of summer in the months to come.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a colourful crop you have there and they look even more delicious in the jars of oil. I've often wondered whether to buy a dehydrator, might look into it.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Qué bien lo preparas, seguro que su sabor es muy bueno.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. So delicious and such pretty colors! I love my dehydrator! So fun to have! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a great idea i have the same two colour way tomatoes as you but i have never heard or seen of a drying out machine. I wonder if you could do the same in a low down oven..I often cook mine with olive oil, garlic and basil and roast them in the oven there yummy that way to. I might have to try this and see what happens ;-)) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dehydrator sounds fun, I may have to invest in one. I like the look of the tomatoes in the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of lovely tomatoes - are they Sungold - my favourites. I usually just spread them on a baking sheet in the oven for a few hours - I guess it does the same job as a dehydrator. I personally just love them fried in butter and eaten with Ciabatta - yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried in butter sounds great! They are Sun Baby, probably much the same. I picked them up at the garden centre after my others struggled to get going.

      Delete
  12. What gorgeous tomatoes, I'm also going to investigate a dehydrator just what I need for the delicious Breton tomatoes I get here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUMMY! Tomatoes and corn are the ultimate summer dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favourite things...wish I was good at growing them like you. enjoy your tasty jars :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tomatoes look gorgeous, and thats a lovely way to preserve them, a jar would make a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete