Saturday, 27 October 2012

Autumn Leaves

It was so lovely to see blue sky again this morning after a week of gloom and drizzle.  I've been waiting to get some more pictures of the garden, but it hasn't been very photogenic lately!

The leaves on our big tree (some sort of sycamore) are always beautiful but the colours don't last long.  These were some of the first to fall last week.



They're coming down thick and fast now in the wind.  I used to love raking them up for the compost, but found they rot down quicker if they're chopped up with the mower first.  That's hubby's job later!





I'm still busy making bits and bobs.  This week it was some lavender hearts with some vintage fabric and buttons.


Also made a start on the candles.  I did make a mistake ordering a couple of fragrances which sounded great on the website, but turned out to be very strong and unpleasant.  I've stuck to essential oils which smell gorgeous have no "nasties" in them.  Favourites so far are lavender and lime, and vanilla and orange, but I'm still experimenting!
The soy wax is easy to melt in the microwave,  I made a couple of candles with each large jugful.



Still working on the labels!  I'm not very artistic when it comes to handwriting so might need to create something on the computer :)

Have a good weekend
Bye for now.
xxx


18 comments:

  1. Stunning, beautiful and colourful pictures.
    Gorgeous candles. thanks for sharing.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trees are clothed in all their finery at the moment, there's some gorgeous colours and shades. Those candles look so pretty, and I'm loving the sound of their fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures of the leaves, our sycamore trees just turn brown and fall off. Love the hearts and the candles, you are so creative.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful autumnal pics, and a lovely sunny day here too - I really need to get out there and rake some leaves, but it's jolly cold! ;-) Your candles and other goodies look fab too.
    Happy Saturday,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to make candles, those look really cute! I think hand written labels show that they are homemade and were given special attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right. Just need to figure out how to do it neatly!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous autumnal photos Debbie! And the candles look beautiful! Might just need to have a go at making some!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Qué colores más estupendos de otoño! los corazones me encxántan latela es preciosa y me gusta la idea de reutilizar los frascos de mermelada para hacer velas. Me encánta tu blog. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, those autumn leaves are fabulous! I'm in awe of the candle making, well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of my favourite time of year. The candle making looks so cosy and therapeutic and the labels, I think, suit them perfectly - individual and a special gift. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so industrious Debbie well done with the candles and the lovely lavender hearts. I loved the fact that in your first picture the leaves fell into a beautiful pattern of colour (or maybe someone had a hand in arranging them artfully)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous leaves. What a lovely idea to make candles in all those lovely Bonne Maman jam pots! Where can I buy soy wax from? I have masses of pure essential oils and made bath salts with them last year. I'd love to do candles this time!
    I like your sweet little sewn hearts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just searched for "candle making supplies" online and found loads. There are different types for pillar or container candles and the wicks come in various thicknesses, but it's easier than I thought it would be! xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you for replying to my question! I live in Switzerland, so I'll have to see what is available here!

      Delete
  12. I love the colours of your autumn leave, the first picture is spectacular.
    Your candles look so good in those jars, will you be putting any candles in your etsy shop?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm sure I will. Just need to work out the cost and postage etc.

      Delete
  13. OLÁ AMIGA,EU GOSTAR DAS IMAGENS,MAS NÃO ENTENDER O TEXTO,QUE TAL COLOCAR UM TRADUTOR?BOA SEMANA.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you ever tried to make soap?

    ReplyDelete