Saturday, 13 October 2012

Two Finished Quilts

Before starting on the candle making I decided to finish off the quilts that have been sat in my room waiting for the hand sewing bit.  Now they're both finished and washed they feel like proper quilts, rather than sewing projects and I just love them both, especially the diamonds one.  It has that soft faded look that's lovely to live with and doesn't clash with everything else!

I'm hopeless with naming quilts, but this I'll probably call it Faded Diamonds or something equally original!






The back is a recycled piece of old duvet cover that matches the vintage look.


Just out of the tumble dryer is my 30's quilt.  Lovely jolly colours and nice and soft and cosy.




Again I've used an old duvet cover for the back.


With each new quilt there's a few things I learn that make life a bit easier and in case I'm not the only one who wishes someone had told them earlier, here's a few random thoughts on hand sewing the binding to the back. 

1.  Do one side at a time.  There's no point pressing and clipping the whole lot as you'll probably have to ration your clips to wider spacings.  It will stay nice and crisply ironed which is easier to sew and it's much easier to handle the rest of the quilt without clips everywhere!

2. Use a piece of card when pressing the binding to the back.  It's easier to get a nice straight fold when the quilt edge is held down with the card.



3. Use ladder stitch.  I don't know why I never knew this. I suppose I was taught to slip stitch hems at school and didn't realise there's a much neater, quicker way to finish things like this. Use a longish needle and you can do several stitches at a time.  Useful for closing up lavender bags and toys etc too!
Sorry this is a rubbish photo but there's plenty of info on the 'net


4. Use Gutermann cotton thread.  For years I've used Sylko thinking there was no difference between them, but the Gutermann seemed much easier to hand sew with, and didn't keep tying itself in annoying knots.  Maybe that was just me, but I'm sticking with it in future.

Nothing new for proper quilters, but they don't tell you this stuff in the books!

Sorry if it was a long post, but thanks for sticking with it!
Hope you have a good weekend
xxx

38 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts I wish I had your skill and patience. Kind Regards Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for sharing these wonderful tips. I will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both quilts are absolutely beautiful. I love the faded vintage look of the diamonds.
    Thank you for the binding hints and tips.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with both these quilts. They are really special!! Your quilting is perfect, too! I'm a big fan of straight line quilting. And your tip on using a card is something I'd never heard of before and I'll absolutely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful, so beautiful! I'm always getting knots in my thread, it's so annoying, I'll try that thread, wish I had read this earlier, I've just been into town, could have picked some up! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilts! thanks so much for the information at the end. Those are things I didn't know. My grandmother taught me how to quilt and crochet before she passed and for the last couple of years I have only had my hand in crochet but thanks to your beautiful work you have given me inspiration to start a new quilt...just in time before winter, Thanks so much! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous and thank you so much for the tips! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are both just stunning, really fantastic.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous quilts Debbie. Love the colours of the 30s quilt and the softness of the faded diamonds. Wish I could sew such beautiful things!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these quilts done in such gorgeous soft colours. The end result is amazing! great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the first one is just grate! Really really wonderful. The other one is also beautiful, but the colors in the first one is so pale and nice, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These will surely be treasured! One of the lovely things about quilts is that people keep them....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilts, the first one I think is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilts are truly, truly beautiful, quite breathtakingly so. I love them both, especially the first faded looking one. Wow, I just can't imagine creating something like this. Thank you for your tips too, I need all the help I can get. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so beautiful. I love your use of hair clips to hold the binding on! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful, I love them both! You are so talanted, I wish I could do things like this.
    /Erica

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely quilts. And like the tip for pressing with card - what a good idea! Never thought to use clips either - genius! I usually get stabbed multiple times with pins!! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilts are absolutely beautiful, I love the faded diamonds best I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the faded one - gorgeous!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilts are gorgeous. Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are just beautiful.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE them both - they really are beautiful. And thanks for the tip about clipping the binding. That's a good one, definitely going to give that a try,it makes perfect sense.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilt look lovely! That must have been so much work.... They will look beautiful on your bed.

    Happy new week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, and stunning quilts, Thank you for the tips.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your quilts are beautiful, I can't decide which I like most. Thanks for showing the photos.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful quilts.

    Thanks for tips #2 and #3. I always do #4.

    I will be off school for a week starting Friday and making a sweet quilt is on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved seeing both your quilts, they are both absolutely beautiful! I agree about the Guterman thread too! It's good to share tips for techniques, there are always new things to learn from other quilters :)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both quilts are beautiful - and thank you for the tips, I'm always pleased to learn new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So, so beautiful they both are!! I love all the gorgeous prints and colors!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my, such beautiful things. My blog visiting this morning now has me itching to make a quilt as well as tackle some lino printing and make some jam. All things I've done before, although the first two were long ago, but I just don't have the time any more, bother! Never mind, I can just admire other's delights from afar :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your quilts. Truly beautiful. Aren't they lovely after a wash, ready for snuggling with?

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh your quilts are just heavenly Debbie! I love them both, and thanks for the tips too, it's always good hearing other quilters little tips to make the job a little bit easier :)
    Jessie, xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for the tips...

    Your quilts ar so beautiful!!!

    lovely

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your quilts. Beautifull, great idea for all those bits we have left over.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amei seu post, tao esclarecedor. Obrigada!
    Seu blog eh lindo.
    Beijo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your faded diamonds. love the long posting too....so helpful.

    ReplyDelete