Monday, 5 November 2012

This Week

Hello,  I hope you had a good weekend and enjoyed the fireworks.  We stayed home as usual trying to distract Lottie and keep her ears covered with her blanket!  She used to hate all the noise, but didn't seem so bothered this year thankfully.  I did manage to sneak upstairs and watch a good display from the window though :)


I've been making more candles and writing labels this week.  Decided to use raffia to tie them on for a country look.



Also finished off another of my quilts.  This one's been sat in my room for at least a couple of years.  I've shown it before Here and Here and finally got it quilted.
I used an old Laura Ashley remnant for the back.  It's a little thicker than quilting fabric but I was glad to use it up after sitting in my stash for years!
There's a lot of pink and purple going on so I bound it with a yellow spotty fabric to lighten it a bit.  Very happy to get this one finished at last.  I love all the feminine fabrics.  Sort of makes me think of a flower garden.






The garden is next on the list.  It needs a good tidy now everything is past it.  There are still some leeks and brassicas and I managed to find enough for a bowl of salad a few days ago.  Last of the greenhouse tomatoes, some beetroot leaves and some of my precious orange pepper.  I had a few in the greenhouse that were refusing to change colour, so I bought some in and put them in the fruit bowl with some bananas.  Hey presto, they turned orange in a couple of days!  It's been a strange gardening season.  Here's hoping for a good one next year!


Bye for now.
xx

28 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous!!! Well done on completing it. Lottie is soooo cute ... glad she coped with firework night ok! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is stunningly beautiful, I love the colours.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is gorgeous! I love it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a stunning quilt Debbie! And the raffia on the candles is the perfect finishing touch!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! I don't feel so bad now, knowing you've had one not finished for 2 years, perhaps there's hope for me yet! My veg patch needs a good tidy too, I'm hoping Mr Bea will build me another raised bed this winter....oh did you see that? A pig has just flown by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous snug scene with the fire! The finished candles look great with the checked lids on the pots and the red raffia! What a lovely healthy plate of salad from your garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your harvest is prettier than fireworks. Our dog had a fright when a firework landed near to her in the garden when she was young so she doesn't like to pop out for her necessary visit when there are bangs and splutters. Unfortunately nowadays the 'celebrations' seem to continue for days if not weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt. I love triangle-squares quilts. I just finished a table cloth myself also made from such squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine is here :)
      http://www.missbee.com/catnap/2012/10/triangle-square-tablecloth.html

      Delete
  9. Poor Lottie ,she looks so comfortable by your warm fire. The red raffia adds that extra touch to your candles.
    Your quilt is fantastic with those colours, it must have taken you quite a time to create it.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Su colcha es preciosa,como todas, y su casa tán acogedora.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the top picture...so perfectly cosy! The candles are such a lovely idea....and the quilt is really pretty, such gorgeous soft colours with a vintagey feel.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is so beautiful!! Love all your pretty photos, too!! Happy new week to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I love your quilt and candle Any chance could have quick tutortial on making candles would love to try it.Where did u get supplies fab idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, There's lots of candle making places on the web, or try ebay. Make sure you get the right wax for containers and not pillar candles, and pick the right size of wicks. Then it's just a case of melting it in a jug in the microwave and securing the wick while you pour it in. The fun bit is experimenting with the essential oils, which you add just before you pour. xx

      Delete
  14. Another lovely quilt and a wonderfully colourful bowl of salad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor Lotti - she's so sweet. Fortunately our Ben & Jerry don't bother with fireworks or lightening even either - yet Ben jumped and ran a mile when I dropped a pot the other day!
    Soooo love your quilt - it's truly gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing quilt! I love the triangle design, it's so effective. The candles are looking good too, what a great idea for presents :)
    Lottie is absolutely gorgeous. Glad to hear she wasn't too upset by the fireworks, she certainly doesn't look to perturbed!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilt looks beautiful and matches all the autumnal cosy colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is lovely, the colours are gorgeous.
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that quilt is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep scrolling back up to look at the quilt, something about the colour combo ... I LOVE it!

    We're so lucky that the whippets here aren't too bothered by fireworks, they bark if there's a really big bang but otherwise they just sleep right through.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I seem to have been missing all your posts, not sure why! I really like the look of the candles and wonder if I may be able to do some for Christmas - probably only for myself though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh the quilt is wonderful, so nice and warm and just beautiful. I might have to do one sort of like it, maybe in green and brown for my mom. Really good work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh, Debbie a finished quilt ... I've almost forgotten the feeling you get when you finish a quilt!! This one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute puppy, gorgeous quilt and a lovely blog! I will come again :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! I love your dog and quilt! Sunny wishes from Greece!

    ReplyDelete