Sunday, 2 December 2012

Bit of a Kitchen Makeover

There's been a bit of pre-Christmas kitchen tidying and sorting out here which started with some basic cleaning and re-arranging of  "stuff" and led to some new shelves being made by hubby which I think look great.


This bit of the kitchen has always annoyed me.  There were a couple of impractical metal shelves and an unused blackboard, together with assorted clutter that tends to end up near the back door, and various gadgets like the sandwich toaster that was never used!  It all made the area rather dark and depressing, so last week it was all cleared away and he made me some lovely shelves out of a piece of old floor joist that's been sitting in the shed for years, just in case it came in handy for something!!


I debated leaving them as plain waxed pine, feeling too lazy to paint them properly, but found half a tin of "Garden Shades" paint leftover from doing the inside of the summerhouse years ago.  A couple of coats and a bit of sanding and they look lovely, with the grain of the wood still showing slightly. 


Once they were up, I could start arranging some bits and bobs and I really love the way all the random things go together and make the room much prettier and lighter.  Especially as it all cost nothing to do!



The little drawers had a makeover too and I'm trying to decide on some new little knobs to cheer them up.

The other end of the kitchen had a tidy too, with all the shelves and china being cleaned. Where does all the dust come from? :(  I found a mirror for only £8 in Homebase which brightens up the mantlepiece.  (It's a bit distorting, but hey, for that money I don't mind).  Some fresh branches ready to decorate and a bit of holly and it's looking almost festive.  (Oops, just noticed the missing light bulb. I knocked it out when turning a shelf over and forgot to replace it)


Bye for now
xxx


29 comments:

  1. Love your new shelves Debbie!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever hubby you've got, the shelves look fabulous. I love all the bits and pieces you've put on them, makes the kitchen look really homely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new shelves look amazing, so clean and fresh! Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful kitchen, I`m so jealous. :)
    We got hit buy the snow for real this weekend, I had snow up to my knees when I was shoveling my way out. It`s lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful kitchen and great new shelves. I can also see a lovely garden through the kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new shelves look lovely, how lucky you are to have a kitchen diner, that's something I have always wanted.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely kitchen and beautiful collection of pastel coloured porcelain you have!!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it's the little changes that make all the difference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new shelves and the lovely pastel china.
    June

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vaya cambio!te ha quedado precioso,y la parte de comedor me parece ideal por su sencillez.Tu casa transmite serenidad con los tonos suaves que me gustan.Muchos saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely, well done hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shelves look beautiful, as does the rest of the kitchen. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new shelves do look better than the old and a good use of old material

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new shelves look gorgeous, I love how you've styled them! (It's always so good too when those saved pieces of wood really do come in handy!)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, your kitchen looks wonderful and I'm enjoying going through your blog and admiring your beautiful quilts. Top marks to Hubby too for his shelf efforts. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your kitchen looks gorgeous. You are making me feel I should be having a go at brightening up mine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The shelves look lovely! The pretty pastel china looks gorgeous on them, especially love those yellow stripey bowls and the duck egg jugs!
    Its amazing what a few changes can do - well done to both hubby and you!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your new little shelves -- they are so cute! They really change the look of your kitchen. I hope you have a very nice weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's all looking lovely, so fresh and bright :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Debbie, your shelves are fabulous and look lovely with all your special pieces. What a lovely light kitchen. We inherited a very dreary grey kitchen, but sadly the kitchen is last on the list for renovating : -(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I seem to have overlooked this post - that space at the side of the cupboards was made to have some shelves fitted - I love the bits and bobs you have chosen to display - amazing what a bit of a re-shuffle can do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The shelves are a perfect addition to your kitchen. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your kitchen. The shelves look wonderful, great job in the making of them and in filling them up with lovely pieces.

    I followed you here from Organic Garden Dreams.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete