Monday, 7 January 2013

In the Garden



When the light levels are so low and the garden so wet and muddy it can sometimes be an effort to bother going and seeing what's happening out there, but I dragged on my wellies and went for a look.  
The snowdrops near the house are always very early, sometimes flowering at Christmas.  Such delicate looking little flowers, but so tough to be out at the coldest time of the year.

The Veg plot has been very neglected since last autumn.  The weather was so wet I didn't get round to tidying all the dead stuff away.  We made a start at the weekend, clearing some of the beds so that one of the compost bins could be emptied.  Lovely dark crumbly stuff, it does wonders for our poor chalky soil.


Not very glamorous but I wouldn't be without them!  There's something very therapeutic about turning over half rotted compost and digging out the finished stuff!


There's a few veggies left.  The leeks did well, but the ones that are left look rather tatty so I'll pull them all up and see if there's anything worth using.  The brassicas are still going strong.  I haven't bothered with them before so wasn't sure what to expect, but we've had the Cavalo Nero and the Curly Kale a few times and they were very good.



There's a few plants of purple sprouting broccoli which haven't produced any sprouts yet, though the packet does say March/April so there's still hope!


And I noticed today a little Romanesco cauliflower hidden amongst the leaves.  Looking forward to eating that. 


This chard plant is still producing lots of new growth and is about the most colourful thing in the garden at the moment so it can stay for a while.



I wonder what sort of weather we'll get this year.  2012 wasn't great for veg gardeners, with a lot of the more tender crops suffering.  It's tempting to give up on things like squashes and French beans, but some years have been much better, so I think I'll keep trying alongside the more reliable things like runner beans and peas.  Now we just need some sun!
xxx

25 comments:

  1. looks like your soil is much the same as mine chalky, the chard is a pretty plant, I must grow some Cavalo Nero this year, all the best David

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have snowdrops out now. They must be an early variety. I always used to think snowdrops were just snowdrops but there are so many types.

    Those compost bins are really neat - did you build them yourself?

    AS for the broccoli as you said plenty of time yet for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hubby built them years ago and they've lasted well. xx

      Delete
  3. Those snowdrops are so glorious, though they do seem incredibly early! What a lovely Romanesco coming up. I'm always amazed how winter vegetables manage to survive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photos, I love the snowdrops.
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get going in my garden and to take a peek at my compost bin. Your winter vegetables look fantastic. I really must have a go this year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, I really wish I knew what I was doing in the garden, looks like I need your help! I'd love to start a veggie patch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me encántan las verduras de invierno sobre todo las coliflores. Muchos saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to see some photos of your garden. That is the first snowdrops I have seen this year! Let's hope we have a better growing season in 2013!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. My veg patch was totaly neglected last year ,the slugs ate what little i grew so i just gave up ,it is a full time job having a veg patch xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see some snowdrops, they are so delicate and yet tough as old boots to be flowering this early in the year!
    I found some Romanesco heads in my brassicas too, I'd almost given up on it but came good in the end. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowdrops always make me smile - they're just so pretty when there's nothing much of anything else around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe how great your garden is coming along already.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great compost place, I love it. We all wait for colder weather, which will come at the weekend. I hope, my Helleborus will not die this winter!

    Whis you a wonderful week.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too left my veg patch with things wet and rotting but managed to clear it all on New Years Day. Lovely to be outside in the chilly winter sunshine. We need to make the most of it after all that rain. Your snow drops look lovely. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  15. My snow drops are only just popping up, can't wait til they flower! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely veg in your plot to look forward too - it all looks so well organised too! The chard looks beautiful!
    How lovely to see some snowdrops too - they are so pretty and such a welcome sight this time of year.I wonder if mine need splitting - plenty of leaf but no signs yet of any flowers.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The compost looks wonderful stuff, and I'm impressed with the bins, our's on the allotment are makeshift things. Good to see that you've still got plenty going on in the veg patch, all I've got left are leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi
    your garden looks great with all the wonderful veggies. like your snowdrops.
    i have no luck with snowdrops.
    lovely blog.
    have a wonderful week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  19. How lovely to see so much fresh green growth! I discovered your lovely blog last summer and loved seeing your gorgeous garden pictures! Must get out in my own garden again next weekend and start sorting it out!
    Have a wonderful week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's wonderful to see so much that's growing even in the depths of January. We seem to be living surrounded by a sea of mud here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden looks so good! All those vegetables you have. We haven't done much work in the garden lately. I can't wait to get my hands into the soil again.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks go great, here we have snow to our knees so gardening seems like a fairytale right about now. :) The chard is so pretty, I don`t know it we can grow it here but I hope so, what colors.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sooo jealous! What a fantastic garden you have. I suppose it might be hard to pick between all your produce, I would have the shard, beautiful and edible! Love your photos:~)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore the chard! It's beautiful and you can eat it! What could be better? (Your quilt is lovely!)

    ReplyDelete