Thursday, 4 April 2013

A Bankside Walk (Lots of Pictures!)

The nearest tube station to the exhibition is London Bridge and right next door is The Shard.  I wasn't sure about it to start with, it seemed a bit ridiculous next to all the historic old buildings in the area, but  I think it's grown on me!   It's certainly impressive when you're at the bottom, looking up.  The shape makes it seem even taller than it is.   Don't envy those window cleaners hanging on the side, they must have been freezing!


I headed back past the station and Borough Market, which is worth a visit if you're there Thursday-Sunday. Then past Southwark Cathedral, and the Golden Hinde (a relica of  Sir Francis Drake's ship)



Then on into Clink Street where the medieval prison housed the local prostitutes and debtors!


The beautiful rose window and a piece of wall is all that remains of Winchester Palace


The Anchor tavern dates from 1775 but replaced a much older one on the same spot.


From there it was on past Southwark bridge 


and the Globe Theatre.  Opened in 1997 close to the site of the original one where Shakespeare's plays were performed



Past the Millenium Bridge and St Paul's


On past the Tate Modern to the Bankside Gallery.  A much smaller place, but more my cup of tea, with lots of  lovely watercolour paintings on display, all for sale.


A bit further along there's the OXO Tower Wharf building which has been converted into flats, with the lower levels housing restaurants and lots of small shop units for designer makers.



Nearly finished now, a last look along Southbank before heading back for the train.
Hope you enjoyed the tour!



xxx

25 comments:

  1. We did the same walk in the opposite direction yesterday! From the "Eye", bit chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us on your walk through London, looks nice and sunny but I bet it was chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots of London. At least it didn't rain for you! I'm not sure how I feel about The Shard. I tend to prefer the traditional buildings one can see in London. I love your two bridge shots and the very last one along the Thames.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour. I love visiting London. We were there ourselves just over a week ago! I always intend to go to St. Paul's but never quite manage to get there.
    FYI - my posts are not updating on reading lists - a problem I've previously had with Blogger which is frustrating!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did that same walk with my hubby last summer while we were visiting the UK. You've brought back some great memories of my favourite city in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun shining makes all the difference to photos and a good walk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do love a day out in London! I am planning a major London experience once our tropical island adventure is over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fantastic shots of a fantastic City. Some days I really miss living there, but appreciate it much more now as a visitor. Thank you for taking me with you on your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics of London - thanks for sharing them. I too love wandering around the city.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this view a few weeks ago when I was visiting some colleagues at an office further up the street from your first photo. It was quite a view standing looking up at the Shard. We had hoped to walk back along the riverbank to Waterloo after our meeting, but unfortunately one of my party was feeling ill so we took the tube instead. I was therefore delighted to see your photos to show me what I had missed!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this walk, the last time I did it was on a very chilly evening in February with the light fading fast! Have never made it to Bankside gallery but definitely on my to do list! Lovely photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonitas fotos y un buen día soleado en Londres.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic photos! Thank you so much for this wonderful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful place to visit, and looks like you had beautiful weather, too! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful photos of London, love the airstream trailer..how cool..Vancouver has a lot of food trucks, they are my Fav's
    Sending you sunshine and a whole lot of joy! xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the photographs, we love to see parts of Britain we haven't seen before!
    In 2002 we where the last time in London, mostly we go to the countryside, each year.
    In some weeks we come again!

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to see London from a different angle - love the photo of The Anchor Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos they have brought back some happy memories my daughter used to live very near St Paul's and the Tate Modern - we would often go for walks around that area together.
    Lovely blog x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was there a few weeks ago but coming up from Westminster. I miss my old home town so much but I am afraid to say that the Shard is not a favourite of mine. My Grandad was one of the people that was fighting the building of this right up until he died. And, I think he was right, it detracts from the surrounding architecture, there were plenty of other modern ideas that could have taken its place. Ho hum! Still lovely to see St Pauls and The Globe standing in all their glory. Thanks for the tour. Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely tour, I visited the globe for the first time last year and it was very impressive. Nice to see the sun shining bright.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tour of that part of London we are not able to get up that way now, Eastbourne by the way have just bought one of those Airstream tea caravans

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to work just alongside Southwark Bridge so lovely to see your pictures was like a walk down memory lane for me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pictures are amazing, I love city photos :) And I love the trailer :)

    ReplyDelete