Thursday, 13 June 2013

Winchester Cathedral


I popped down to Winchester this morning to see the flower festival in the Cathedral.  It's a wonderful display organized by the Wessex and Jersey area of NAFAS called "Symphony of Flowers" with about 50 exhibits, all by different floral designers and clubs arranged through the building.  I won't pretend to know anything about "proper" flower arranging.  A handful of garden flowers in a jug is more my style, but I do appreciate the skill that goes into these works of art.



This "meadow" gently moves in the breeze from a fan.


The area around Jane Austen's tomb has been decorated by the Cathedral flower arrangers in an English Country Garden theme.  I'm not sure if all the flowers would have been around in her time, but it does look beautiful and the arrangement on her tomb is a nice touch.



"Jane" is a dummy but there are some people in costume wandering around.  Not easy to photograph in the low light levels.


A Sweet little bench and quilt.




Not quite sure what these are.  Something to do with pointing to Heaven.  The angel is covered in skeleton leaves and is rather beautiful.



Timpani drums made of carnations with alliums for drumsticks.


Not a great photo, but I love the door.


Down in the crypt Anthony Gormly's sculpture has been joined by some figures covered in leaves and seed heads making it seem even more eerie than usual.


I took many more photos, but it was tricky trying to avoid all the other visitors! 
The festival is on 'till Sunday and costs £10, with the profits going to the organ fund.
xxx

20 comments:

  1. Now you know I do love a cathedral, but one that is full of flowers is the absolute icing on the cake. Your post is full of such beautiful shots and what a fitting tribute to Jane Austen. Just wonderful and thanks for showing us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Michigan. OH, how I love seeing grand places like Winchester Cathedral and the flowers were as grand as the Catherdral.. The "Jane" flower display was very lovely indeed. Thanks for taking me to see some more of your very lovely country. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glory be, what an amazing exhibit! You must have felt like you were entering another world, that beautiful giant space filled with all those ethereal blooms...thank you for your wonderful photos, I could almost smell those flowers! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those blooms are amazing! I bet the scent was heavenly! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a sight. That cathedral is beautiful on a regular day but these flower installations make it even more so! I love the arrangements around the Austen tomb. So pretty and cottage-y! Thanks for sharing these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What incredible floral decorations in Winchester Cathedral. I love the bench and quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for taking us with you - what a beautiful display! Just lovely, sounds like a fab day out.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat! I too tend to just plonk flowers in a jug - but the work that has gone into all of the arrangements is just incredible. I love the additions to the Anthony Gormly sculpture!
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing sight to see.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is quite something.. I wish I was nearer, I would definitely go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a flower festival and this one looks absolutely amazing! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing display, your pictures are so lovely. It must have been so difficult to capture the displays without the visitors. I wonder how many flowers have been used in the whole display. I'm so glad you shared this with us.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what stunning displays what amazing work, although I'm with you I'm more a plonk them in a jug kinda girl ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photos, I especially like the one above the angel. It reminds me of a quiet corner of a garden with the ferns and lupins. The cathedral must have smelt wonderful.
    Sally :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen so many flowers in a church or cathedral before!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for showing me this - you don't realise how immensely grand in size these cathedrals are until you look up and see the vaulted ceiling in comparison to objects below. Beautiful flowers and floral work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW - everything looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet! If only I was 2 inches tall it would be perfect. I did one once for a competition my theme was Teddy Bears Picnic with teeny tiny teddies and miniscule picnic set - great fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry - this comment seems to have come up on the wrong post!

    ReplyDelete