Friday, 30 August 2013

Mottisfont Abbey


Youngest daughter and I decided to visit Mottisfont Abbey yesterday as she wanted to see the exhibition of original Winnie-the-Pooh watercolours by E.H. Shepard.  It was a lovely day out and well worth going if you love the books.  Photography wasn't allowed so I've used one of the images from the National Trust article Here

They've continued the Winnie-the Pooh theme with other activities for children and set up a sweet little tea table with food and woodland creatures knitted by a local craft group



I loved the cupboard full of Pooh's "hunny", and the bee mobile!



There was also a room full of wonderful automated toys



And some beautiful kites made by John Browning using skeleton leaves.


Daughter was flagging by now, so after some lunch we hitched a lift on the buggy along to the walled garden so I could have a quick look round.  I've been before when the old roses are in flower and it's a glorious place full of colour and scent.  Now they're over it has a different atmosphere, but still alive with butterflies and the scent of dried lavender.  The central borders are still full of colour, mainly blues and silvers.






Rose hips everywhere. 


And lots of huge pots of pelargoniums.


I hope you've enjoyed the little trip round Mottisfont.  If you want to see the exhibition it's on 'till 15th September.  It's a lovely place to spend the day with plenty to see in the house and the river Test in the garden.  Beautiful!

Enjoy the weekend
xxx

23 comments:

  1. Looks like a really nice place to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden tour at Mottisfont Abbey, it is still on my wishlist to visit during rose time. The winnie the pooh teatable looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy it. The gardens are delightful. Love the blue and silver theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks absolutely delightful. Going to Surrey in a couple of weeks so may drive over as we are NT members. Lovely pics as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must pop over to see this as it's quite close. I usually go to see the roses, but didn't go this year. I didn't know about this exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place to visit and I do love Winnie the Pooh so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We enjoyed Mottisfont a few weeks ago, the gardens were so peaceful to sit and ponder in. The roses were just over but still it was a lovely place to amble - I wonder where we will both go soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boyfriend works for the National Trust, spreading his time between Mottisfont and the New Forest (a bit of a trek each day as we live in Basingstoke!) - Mottisfont is such a lovely place to visit! He has done a lot of work on the trees in the Mottisfont woodland.
    I'm glad you enjoyed your day!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming little tea with Pooh! Thank you for sharing! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the original illustrations by E H Shepard, so I would have loved this exhibition. I love the 'hunny' cupboard and bee mobile, too! The gardens, with the late summer flowers, look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe I love the little tea party! :)
    Beautiful garden too!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your day out with us - it all looks so lovely, and who can possibly resist a day spent in the company of Winnie-the-Pooh and his sweet friends?
    Happy weekend,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your tour, I will show my daughter later as having been brought up on Winnie the pooh will surely love your photos. The gardens look gorgeous and I would love to have a wander around there some day... take care, Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful place to see. It is nice to see the colours still vibrant at the end of August. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic place to visit - just my thing. That knitted tea table is amazing. Wish I could visit - Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your pictures of this lovely place.....I have put it on my list to visit one day! Loved the toys and the beautiful gardens. Have a happy week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely trip out, I liked the bee mobile. The walled garden looked very pretty, very much muted colours, very romantic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photo's of the garden and the exhibition!

    Happy week,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful impressions! I know Mottisfont, was there in 2001 with a garden group. We had not enaugh time, very bad. And all the roses in bloom.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love the tea table and the honey cupboard too - how utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have been so nice places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So here I am looking at your post of Mottisfont. I think, the Rose Gardens look fabulous in August. There are more roses still blooming than I expected and the borders are so lovely planted with other perennials that they are a joy to see. They just do a fabulous job at Mottisfont Abbey! Thanks for letting me know that you posted about the gardens in August!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete