Sunday, 16 March 2014

A London Visit

Hello, Isn't this weather gorgeous?  Just about perfect really!

Yesterday I took a trip to London to visit Eldest daughter as she's moved flats recently and I hadn't seen her new place yet.  We decided to meet at Covent Garden and have a wander first, so I started with a stroll across Waterloo Bridge.


Looking East there seem to be cranes everywhere.  I read that many more skyscrapers are planned in the next few years.  I suppose the best we can hope for is that they're not as hideously ugly as the "Walkie Talkie" in the centre of the picture.  (The one that was melting cars last summer.)


On to Covent Garden where we wandered round the shops and craft stalls in the Jubilee Market and enjoyed the street entertainers.  Not many photos as it's hard not to include a sea of faces!



Pretty Laduree macaron shop, with stunning chandelier 



Pearly Kings and Queens collecting for charity.




Then on to the Seven Dials area, full of lots of small interesting shops and the amazingly colourful Neal's Yard. 




This sign caught my eye.  Apparently there was a hardware store here until very recently, owned by 7 generations of the same family, all named Fred Collins!


Finally, back to Shepherd's Bush where Daughter's flat is near the market.  It's a great location for tubes and buses and home to a very diverse range of cultures, so all sorts of exotics on the stalls and shops.  With a funfair on the Green and a packed Irish pub spilling out into the sunshine it seemed to have a great atmosphere.



All in all a lovely, but tiring day out.
xxx

25 comments:

  1. What a very glorious tour of London. Thanks for sharing all those colorful and unique photos.It looks like a great place to Live... OH, how I wish we had Spring here.. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your London trip and what a colourful one it was! Neals Yard looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love London, haven't been down there yet this year, perhaps at Easter....

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a fantastic city to wander around in the sunshine?!! All the sights and sounds are quite something. I love it too, and your lovely post has given me the urge to visit again sooner rather than later :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely stroll round London, even if you were pretty tired at the end of it. I love the colourful, painted houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We priced up a weekend in London and put it on one side as too expensive for us this year, so thank you for letting me visit in my dreams. I love Covent Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked in Neal's Yard over the summer of 1999. Lovely to see some pics! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been perfect weather for a stroll around. I always see such interesting places on blogs and on the very odd occasion I actually visit London I can't remember where to go! I love a good market and street entertainers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tour! We are going to Covent garden in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was been in London last july: I love Neals Yard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely and Neals Yard looks worth visiting if we come over again. The Thames photos brought back a lot of memories of when we were over in 2011. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for guiding us around on your London trip. I visited London a few times in the past and should love to go again. Covent garden I remember from your pictures, we have been there, but the painted houses, I really do like it, so sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looked a fun day out with your daughter, there are so many treasures in London and always something interesting to see.
    Thanks for sharing all the photos!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fantastic weather you had, it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great impressions, where are the wonderful coloured houses? London ist always good for a visit!

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neal's Yard is just North of Covent Garden, between Shorts Gardens and Monmouth st. It's a courtyard/ alleyway full of "alternative" businesses. The cafe does lovely vegan food and Neal's Yard Remedies sells natural health and beauty products. Well worth a visit.

      Delete
  16. London becomes more magical through your wonderful photos!
    Have a happy week!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely trip you had - it's lovely to just dip your toe into London life every now and again isn't it ?
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great day out, I would have enjoyed it too! I love London even though I also find it tiring! You saw some great places and lots of colour. I love going to Covent Garden especially. Your photos are so sunny too....that makes such a difference to seeing the sights :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your trip around all of my favourite haunts in London. You had a good day by the sounds of it and the weather was perfect too. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had forgotten about that part of London, usually I head for the museums but next trip will be to the markets - I wonder if Portobello is still worth a visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my list of places to visit too, but I think it's best to get there early, and I expect the prices are geared to tourists! xx

      Delete
  21. Hi Debbie, I so enjoyed seeing your photos from London and can't wait for our next visit to Great Britain, with hopefully a brief stop in London. The Seven Dials area including Neal's Yard looks very interesting and cheerful. The program that you covered in one day would give me enough to explore for three days ;-). No wonder that you were tired! Have a nice rest of the week!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Debbie,there. I enjoyed your pictures of the London. The skyline seems to change every time I visit there. good Convent Garden is good place to see the pearly kings and queens. I haven't visited the Seven Dials area it looks so interesting. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Neal's Yard always looks fabulous doesn't it, and especially so in bright spring sunshine. Fabulous pics of your days away :)

    ReplyDelete