Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Churn Dash Quilt Along

What do you do when you have a pile of quilt tops waiting to be quilted?
Start a new one, of course!   I hadn't intended to, but then up popped a Quilt Along with Amy Smart at Diary of a Quilter and I decided to join in.  


The pattern is very clear and straightforward.  The main challenge was finding enough fabric in my stash of the required size as many of my favourite bits weren't quite big enough.  (A couple of these were changed at the last minute.)


I think I've ended up with quite a random, vintage-y selection.  Hopefully it will all pull together in the end.


All the strips cut and joined ready to be cut into smaller pieces.  I bought a 1/4" accufeed foot for my new Janome machine and it's great for piecing, especially for long strips like this.   Next step is to make all the half square triangles.  Shouldn't take long once I've figured out which foot to use for  an accurate 1/4" seam next to a drawn line.

Not a great photo but the light was all over the place, with a huge thunderstorm just about to pass overhead.


Bye for now
xxx

18 comments:

  1. Wow, love those fabrics together and yes I too think it looks vintagey! Is that a word? Starting another when we have many waiting to be quilted is just being normal when you are so "crafty". Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stash of fabrics are so pretty - so very 'me'. I will pop along to the sew along and see if I'm able to join in. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very pretty, slowly I am getting swayed by the quilting bug. I haven't attempted it yet but I am gathering a lovely stash of fabrics for when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so surprised by how many garden bloggers do quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there's a lot of similarities. They both involve putting together lots of small things and playing around with colour and shapes etc to create something interesting! xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely combination of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many different beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your choice of fabrics, always so soft & easy ....perfect
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got the same foot, not tried mine yet....hope it will help me! Love your fabric choices and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great for guiding the edge of the fabric giving perfect 1/4" seams, but pretty awkward to use if you're following a pencil line. I like the accufeed but you need good lighting and eyesight to see what you're doing as the foot casts it's own shadow! Might have to experiment with the other feet. xx

      Delete
  9. My, such a gorgeous stash. Where do you shop for fabric? I am a complete beginner in the world of quilting and finding nice fabric seems to be a problem number 1 for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mira. Most of my fabric has been bought online from various places over the years. Also visiting quilt shows and recycling old shirts etc. The quilting magazines usually have plenty of adverts. Collections of fat eighths or quarters are a good start. There's ebay and etsy too, but the quality can be variable. 100% cotton is best. Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful - I wish my stash had such a coordinated range of fabrics! This is going to be a stunning blanket! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely fabric! Good luck on the quilt!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same with my crochet. When I have a lot of ends to weave in I start a new project... Your fabric choice looks very promising. Looking forward to see how it turns out! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course you had to start another quilt! Look at those beautiful fabrics, it is going to be amazing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhh...me encanta el diseño y las telas, son muy bonitas...mil besos

    ReplyDelete