Wednesday, 25 June 2014

A Trip to the Seaside



Taking a break from crocheting yesterday, I went down to Bournemouth to visit youngest daughter and see the end of year degree exhibition at the Arts University .  Afterwards she was keen to take me to Hengistbury Head, knowing I'd love the beach huts and she wasn't wrong.  We had a lovely time wandering around, imagining how great it would be to own one of these little treasures.  I took heaps of photos, but have picked out some of my favourites.


There are more than 300 huts, arranged back to back along a long spit of sand.  Some face towards the nature reserve and the beautiful Christchurch harbour.  Others face the dunes and beach with stunning views to the Needles on the Isle of Wight.  No wonder they are some of the most expensive in the country. ( Around £150k plus £2000 p.a. ground rent)  We peeped in a few and they are surprisingly large, with sofa beds and good size kitchens, many having sleeping lofts and bunk beds.  There are shower/toilet blocks and water standpipes, though no electricity, but solar panels and gas fridges would make them very comfortable.


The beach cafe is a great place to watch the world go by.






Here's an image showing some of the huts on the right, with the nature reserve in the foreground.  You have to leave the car and take to the footpaths, (if you're feeling fit)


Or take the little land train which is more fun!


To end the day we went to the beach a little further along the coast, towards Southbourne, where it was almost deserted, and had a paddle, before reluctantly heading home 


23 comments:

  1. Wow! What a lovely day out. Those beach huts look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those beach huts remind me of Southwold, the huts there are around the same price as 3 bed house most places, but so picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's more than you could buy a small house for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a day like this I think the beach huts are worth every penny :-) I'm afraid with my budget though I would only be able to afford the door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow gorgeous beach hut, so lovely, how the other half live at those prices
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I recognised those beach huts. They are so pretty and as you say, very roomy but expensive. Didn't realise the ground rent was that much! Glad to see the train is still running as they were going to stop that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Can't see how it would work if you had to walk the whole way with all your holiday luggage.

      Delete
  7. So nice these beach huts in different colours, together with the bright blue sky with some white clouds it is the perfect place to spend some lazy days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely day out. I love the look of beach huts and there are quite a few around the bay in Melbourne and they are very expensive too. Thanks for sharing the photos and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an expensive shed..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, I love the little houses, they are very clean on your photos. I will show your post Mr. W.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to work at Canford Cliffs many years ago but never did go that far east of Bournemouth sadly. Those huts are really beautiful, much grander than the few I recall being at Bournmeouth back in the late 60s.
    Spurn Point up here in east yorkshire gets attacked each winter by the seas otherwise I reckon we could have had huts like that. But with the coastal erosion theyd be floating down the Humber each year lol
    Love the comment above - an expensive shed lolol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bournemouth/ Poole is pretty built up these days but there's still plenty of beautiful coast either side. It is prone to erosion and storm damage in the winter though. Expensive, but it's all about the location!

      Delete
  12. I would always be happy if I lived in a beach hut! Fab :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, it's years since I went to Hengistbury Head and you've captured the area at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning photos. I don't know of any place here in the USA that has quaint huts like that on the beach. Thanks for sharing your day. Best, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! Thanks for taking us along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty place to spend some time, I've never been. We have some lovely beach huts on the North Norfolk coast too, such a hefty price tag though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - it looks amazing - your photos are excellent and the weather looked to good to be true. I wonder how those huts fared during the winter storms? I could quite happily live in something like that. The whole reserve area looks wonderful - I don't know that part of the coast but it certainly looks worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's not many beach huts where you're allowed to stay overnight, hence the high prices. People do spend large parts of the summer here, pootling round the harbour on their boats, lucky things! I bet there must have been some damage in the winter though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The last time I've been in Great Britain was when I was a child. Looking at your beautiful photos makes me want to go there immediately. The bluest sky, the whitest clouds, the loveliest beach huts. What more could one ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was at school not far from here, on the other side of Bournemouth town, and I never knew about these beach huts! Gosh, it would be something to have one of those, I'd spend every day at the beach! Thanks for a lovely summery post, I'm glad you had such a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thankyou for the beautiful photos!! They have to be the most amazing beach huts I've ever seen!!!
    I only live in Southampton, so may take a drive down to see them for myself. I've not been to Hengistbury Head since I was a child...

    Tinaspice

    ReplyDelete